[Bf-committers] Moving to Python 3.2.x

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 05:15:50 CET 2011

--- On Tue, 3/8/11, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As said before in the last mail, its fairly arbitrary when
> we upgrade.
> But I'd really not want to have to worry about maintaining
> 2 versions
> of python for more then a months, two months at most.

You're saying that like we HAD to support Py 3.2. We didn't. We could just have kept on only supporting 3.1 for months.

> Heres my proposed policy for major upgrades...
>  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Python/API/Py3.1_Migration#Python_Upgrade_Policy
> --- copying main points from the wiki.
> * Linux platform maintainers first agree to drop support.

All platform maintainers should be involved.

> * Include a note in meeting minutes beforehand that the
> python version will be no longer supported.

Should be separate from minutes, it's an important subject that warrants its own thread.

> * Ensure build instructions are up to data for
> Ubuntu/Fedora to install packages (most likely from testing repo's).

Sounds good, but there's nothing in there as to HOW to decide when to upgrade. It's a list of things to do after the decision has been taken (which, ok, is nice, but is not the main issue here). The fact that someone can flip a switch and have everything work with a newer version is not a solid reason to upgrade such a dependency.


More information about the Bf-committers mailing list