[Bf-committers] Moving to Python 3.2.x

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 08:08:05 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Dave Plater <dplater at webafrica.org.za> wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 10:11 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:

>>> I'm still in the dark as to why external system python which is
>>> maintained by the distro python maintainer has to be 3.2 for blender to
>>> build against. This is no maintenance on your side and the distribution
>>> blender maintainer takes care of the bugs (supposed to anyway) and if it
>>> is an upstream blender bug passes correct information and in some cases
>>> offers a patch to solve the bug.
>>> There's nothing wrong with blender having a particular version of python
>>> bundled with it but why can't it build with the distributions python
>>> 3.1. This is for the silent majority of users who want software that
>>> works and don't have a wish to build it themselves. Give us a clue about
>>> where the changes are that prevent the use of 3.1 and we will patch it
>>> ourselves in which case it becomes our maintenance problem but that's
>>> why we're maintainers.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dave P
>>>
>> The maintenance is not with python its self but blenders C/API &
>> scripts which would need to be kept compatible.
>>
>> Blender users who don't want to build can use
>> www.blender.org/download/get-256-beta/ which includes python,
>> Blender2.57 will include python3.2.
>>
>> But I see you would like to continue python 3.1 support, these commits
>> can be made in to patches and reversed: 35386, 35395.
>>
>> - Campbell
>>

> I have a plan b as well, I've just joined the packman team mainly due to
> maintaining multimedia in the main openSUSE distro but for my first
> project I'm packaging blender with ffmpeg and hopefully I can get a
> python 3.2 link to the openSUSE python3 devel project.
> Thanks for the pointers to patches.
> Dave P

Update on finding python,
as of r35443, CMake on *nix will find python 3.2 with any ABI flags in
/usr, /usr/local and /opt/py32 (others can be added)
it also checks for 'd' ABI flag on with debug builds only.

This just loops over possible api flags and install dirs & doesn't use
'python3-config --abiflags' because on a custom source install
python3-config may not be be in the $PATH.

--
- Campbell