[Bf-committers] Use cases for warp modifier?

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Fri Jun 24 21:52:53 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 21:15 +0200, Tobias Oelgarte wrote:
> Recently i noticed the "warp modifier" inside the current builds. In my
> understanding it works like an improved hook. But i had only very few
> cases in which needed hooks anyway. So im a bit puzzled. What is so
> special about this modifier? Any known usecases?
>
> At first i thought you had implemented the "warp tool" as an modifier
> and that it would be awesome. But then i tried it and didn't know what
> to say. Truthfully i was a bit disappointed. ;P But it gives me a
> headache; why we would need this modifier?
because it is great! TBH when I first saw it I thought I'd never need
it.

it's very much like an improved hook, in that it is based on the
difference between a reference and target empty. This way you can move
the hook 'target' around without deforming the mesh (say with an
armature, avoiding double deform), and then still use it to add a bit on
top.

use case: adding little tweak controls that let you modify the surface
on a rigged character with extra bulges and moves, more specific things
possible (e.g. muscles bulges, or in my case the lip-roll in and out
motions on the character - invaluable given my choice of face rig.)

use case: a hook that, unlike hook, you can 'move it' around the
surface, so similar to lattice, you can move the deformation along the
surface, for instance, to make a depression that moves around with a
thing that causes it.

It's a great modifier, but if you don't need it, don't use it. I think
it was used in Sintel, so poking around those files might also give you
clues.