[Bf-committers] A new photo format

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 22:18:54 CEST 2011

> To quote the reply from kalast: What uses do you have in mind?
>
> --
> Dr. Lars Krueger

First of all thanks all for the great explanation. I just thought it
was really cool to be able to change focus like that and found the
idea that you could even change the point of view very interesting. I
guess I would have to say that my use was purely artistically
motivated; something I thought would be fun to play around with. My
question was also just based on curiosity. I was thinking of making
pictures or even films where the user could change the focus and
decide themselves what was important in a picture. I could build a
picture with many interesting elements at each depth. The idea of
having built in 3d was also interesting.

I see 3d as the wave of the future. There is even a hand held 3d game
now that does not need glasses as well as many glasses based TVs and a
big 3d film push. I suspect that a technology like this could really
change the future of pictures and wondered if Blender will be ready
for it or not or if I could maybe even play with it now. I think the
key to plenoptics' future will be how open the patents are for the
normal person to use the stuff. As for cameras,  I have to say that
80% of my failed pictures are failures because of bad focus; the rest
bad light or a missed shot.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!