[Bf-committers] Windows 2000 build please.

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Fri Jul 15 05:16:00 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:43:41PM -0300, José Romero wrote:

> I think this kind of email is not very appropriate for a developer
> mailing list....

I could do without the hyperbole and the tone, but personally, I am
sympathetic to people wanting to run Blender on older systems.  And
not just because I have a purple SGI Indigo2 out in the garage...

Microsoft stopped mainstream support for Win2k back in June 2005,
about half a decade ago.  This is a long time in computer years.

Graphics card vendors are not going to support new or maybe even
current OpenGL features for an out-dated OS.  IIRC, this was why
Windows ME fell off our radar long ago.

The main issue for us is having someone to be the platform maintainer.
They will also need to do some testing and likely need to create
patches to keep the code running on their box, as well as doing
release builds.

If no one steps up to do this, it will not happen.  That is the way
Open Source works.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net