[Bf-committers] Spacenav 3dview navigation --

Nathan Letwory nathan at letworyinteractive.com
Wed Jul 6 22:39:29 CEST 2011

On 6.7.2011 23:22, Mike Erwin wrote:
> No, this is very experimental. Just wanted to see the 2.4 behavior in
> action. Once fly mode works properly, you'll be able to switch between
> fly, helicopter, trackball or turntable from the NDOF popup menu.

Ok. I assume you will also have object manipulation on the list? This
would be essentially the reverse of all other modes: 3dview navigation
with 2d mouse, object translation and rotation with the device (don't
think scaling fits in this picture well enough).

> Do you have any suggestions about where 3D mouse settings should
> "live" between blender sessions? I have several variables in mind, and
> want to access them via RNA at runtime. The core NDOF system lives in
> GHOST, so it makes sense to read a file from there at startup. Does
> GHOST have access to RNA so it can define and initialize these
> variables?

I'd put code that uses this in the places where you have it now (ie
3dview). That way it makes sense to have these as user preferences, and
they would be accessible in all useful places. No need to figure out
different ways to save those between session then will be necessary
either - provided the user remembered to callibrate ie for sensitivity
first, then save user prefs.

I guess it would be great to have such settings saved separately from
all other user preferences, but right now I wouldn't put energy into
coming up with a way to do that. Rather keep it consistent with current
user prefs, and after integration is complete, work on a proposal to
make a division of logical parts of user prefs and have them saved
separately (as has been discussed several times on ML and in IRC).

For fly mode, dominant axis, and other modes I don't think it is
necessary to persist those between sessions.

/Nathan

> Hehe, sure :) I just compiled and tried the latest commits. It seems
> that the ndof fly mode changes completely how the 3dview reacts. And as
> you have commented in code, using regular mouse after touching my
> spacepilot doesn't work at all properly :) (especially zoom is
> completely weird). Anyway, what I currently see is that most of the
> device knob usage zooms the 3dview out more and more and more. Zooming
> back in with the device is impossible (except for using the 'Fit'
> button, or otherwise NUMPAD PERIOD).
>
> Does 3dview navigation work ok for your device currently?

- --
Nathan Letwory
Letwory Interactive | Studio Lumikuu
http://www.letworyinteractive.com | http://www.lumikuu.com