[Bf-committers] Proposal: Blender OpenCL compositor

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Fri Jan 21 09:30:51 CET 2011

Hi Vilem

On 01/21/2011 01:12 AM, Vilem Novak wrote:
> I'd like to have 2 more questions:
> Where did go the idea of integrating gegl as the library
> driving compositor processing(originally 1 of durian targets?)?
I don't know, perhaps one of the durianers can elaborate on this. I
myself see pro's and con's in using this library inside Blender. It has
already solved issues we are trying to tackle now, but looking at the
requirements that our users have, I am not sure that the library will be
that suitable (granularity of the nodes/operators).
> Will it be harder to develop nodes for the tile based system than now? will it still be possible to write
> non-tile based nodes, or non-opencl nodes?
No implementing a (tile based) node will be different, but easier. The
hard part will not be visible to the node developer. The developer is
not aware that OpenCL exists or that it is tiled based. There will be a
difference as everything has to be written as pixelprocessors. Currently
I don't have seen the requirement that non-tiled based nodes are needed.
I have seen the requirement for non-opencl nodes (Py expressions, Image

Jeroen