[Bf-committers] Blender Startup Time

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Feb 25 19:15:17 CET 2011

Hi,

On my slow PPC system, debug build, the full 'cold' startup takes
about 5 seconds, of which 3.5 is being spent in BPY_python_start()

On second and successive runs it's 1.2s for Python. Without netrender
only saves 0.1 sec... total about 2.5 seconds.

Interesting is that then quite some time goes to:
(0.53s) reading startup.blend + open window
(0.25s) read the preview.blend
(0.12s) gpu_init
(0.10s) font init

Slow .blend reading here might be because of endian/32 bits converting.
tested this, and indeed, saving startup myself saves 0.2 sec!

-Ton-