[Bf-committers] normal maps, red/green channel inverted

Morten Mikkelsen mikkelsen7 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 16:22:52 CET 2011

Hi all,

Blender is exporting normal maps with red and green channel inverted
relative to the geometry we actually export with our exporters
and I would very much like to fix this. This would make blender export
normal maps which are very similar to most tools out there and it would make
sense to people trying to use them in their own engines.

What we are talking about is a very minor tweak.
There's one place that writes them and two places that read them.
I would only have to do a minor adjustment there.

It will be different from maps baked with blender previously but then that
ship has already
sailed when we gave normal maps the overhaul that we did to support
mirroring,
order-independence of faces, vertices on faces, welding etc.
So when you think about it this is a relatively minor tweak in comparison.
So I am thinking might as well do it proper.

Kaito has asked me to ask you guys if you are ok with it?

Here's hoping for the best :)

Thanks,

Morten,