[Bf-committers] SOC ideas

Sergey Kurdakov sergey.forum at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:16:30 CET 2011

Hi All,

I noticed that many previous SOC ideas were great and brought a lot to Blender,

it could be a little bit selfish, but still, I would like to share
few ideas for possible SOC applications.

idea 1.

triangle mesh - > quads -> nurbs workflow

see docs and code

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.8.6839&rep=rep1&type=pdf
http://www.netlib.no/netlib/a/pcp2nurb.tar.gz
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.23.1240&rep=rep1&type=pdf

( see more links here http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18026 )

adaptive quads are already here in
https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/branches/soc-2010-rohith291991
based on proposal
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Rohith291991/Gsoc2010/Proposal
so workflow at least partially implemented (  to some degree subsurfs
also  already exists ). So all this  might be enhanced in Blender to
make direct workflow   mesh->nurbs->mesh possible.

and that is great as nurbs could allow drilling and other fancy features ...

idea 2

while kinect is a new toy - it can greatly enhance motion capture experience.

available opensource drivers allow capture of rough skeleton
https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI/tree/master/Samples/NiUserTracker
(see demo at youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI7iLmLDdoA ), but
does not allow detailed motion capture,

now what comes to mind in respect to Blender?

There is an approach to fit mesh to video (other works are inside pdf ):

http://openmesh.org/uploads/media/Hornung_TR10.pdf

there is already makehuman with tools to generate desired skeletons
and also makehuman rig ( and autorig too ),
so coupling ready skeleton with fitting depth info to skeleton mesh -
it is possible to accurately capture human pose with kinect.

this approach, possibly, might make development of human motions with
Blender to be exeptionally popular. So definetely should be tried - as
almost all components are here for such a great task.

Regards
Sergey