[Bf-committers] Blender developer irc meeting minutes 6 feb 2011

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Feb 8 12:25:16 CET 2011

Hi,

Follow up on this:

> - A long discussion went on about fundraiser models, based on doubts
> expressed that money is given out personally to developers, without
> any guarantee it will end up with something. Ton will consult other OS
> foundations if there's experience and policies for this.

I've consulted some people in other foundations, here's a quote that
summarizes the topic well: (note: a 501(c)3s is the US legal name for
a "foundation")

------------
*in the USA*, specifically, this is a legal minefield for 501(c)3s.   In
order to fundraise for development you'd need to ensure that:

a) Nobody deciding what features to fund was in a position to benefit
from them financially

b) Either you'd need to do "general funds" and not fundraise for
specific features, *or* you'd need to ensure that donors to specific
features didn't derive business benefit from them (good luck on that)
----------

Similar practices are valid here in Europe too. BF can accept
donations tax-free only if there's no service or compensation related
to it.
A "pay for feature" system would be regarded as a commercial activity,
with strict legal & tax regulations for all parties: for the donator,
collector and the receiver's side. A potential minefield.

This is why the common practice for Foundations is to stick to general
funding targets, aimed at topics that provide public benefit according
to their goals.

-Ton-