[Bf-committers] Color space and alpha issues

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:01:27 CET 2011

Great to finally see some discussion on this topic.

On Dec 15, 2011 6:32 AM, "Brecht Van Lommel" <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>
wrote:
> You might notice I'm not really mentioning OIIO/OCIO. It's a nice
> project to integrate those, but it doesn't solve current issues and is
> fairly orthogonal to the proposed changes.

I would suggest that OIIO does indeed solve some of the issues regarding
alpha. It allows us to immediately get access to all of the file flags for
associated / unassociated alpha, and deals with archiving / loading to
assert proper handling - both of which Blender struggles with. We would
obviously bring far better handling of DPX and EXR to the table.

This is a huge chunk of code and much work that could be avoided if we
simply bite the bullet and integrate it.

>From your notes, I noticed that the float buffers should be linear. It
should be noted that the VSE doesn't do this, and in fact stores the float
as an sRGB curved float. This leads to incorrect dissolves, fades, and
other overs.

With respect,
TJS