[Bf-committers] Bundling CUDA Kernels on all plattforms

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sun Dec 11 19:33:42 CET 2011

Hi everyone,
regarding the upcoming  2.61 release and Cycles/CUDA, some notes:

In my oppinion we should bundle the three CUDA render kernels (sm_13,
sm_20, sm_21) for Cycles on all platform (Windows, Linux, Mac OSX).

Pro's:
- People who want to use GPU/CUDA Rendering don't need any additional
software, otherwise they would have to install the nVidia CUDA Toolkit.
- Compiling kernels takes a lot of memory and time, this would be
eliminated by bundling as well.

Con's:
- Release builders need to install the CUDA Toolkit

Apart from that I don't see any other disadvantage.
Sure the kernels are useless for AMD users, but the additional 230kb
(compressed) won't harm inside the archive I guess.

Brecht, any oppinion on that? :)

Best regards,
Thomas

--