[Bf-committers] ffmpeg library update

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 21:23:18 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Sergey I. Sharybin <g.ulairi at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're still using quite old version of ffmpeg for linux release builds
> at least (this libraries were compiled from ffmpeg sources which were
> used in blender source tree just before their remooving from the svn).
> This was caused because some problems with pixelization which was
> discussed here some weeks ago.

Hrm.

What is the authoritative answer on ffmpeg's inclusion?

I was under the impression that for Linux it now uses system FFMPEG?

I know that SVN compiles against the existing system library.

There is far more at stake here for Blender, so it is hoped that
everyone pays attention to the situation evolving at ffmpeg / libav. A
higher grade production tool such as Blender greatly benefits from
industry grade decoding, and as such, it should flow with the library
that focuses on the more limited niche cases of decoding / encoding.

I believe Baptiste Coudurier has done a significant amount of work
supporting greater than 8bpc bit depths and integration of DNxHD to
the ffmpeg core. In addition to this, he heads the ffmbc project I
believe (http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/).

With respect,
TJS