[Bf-committers] ffmpeg library update

Sergey Kurdakov sergey.forum at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 19:36:29 CEST 2011

Hi Sergey.

I'm not very knowledgeable person in all details, but as I do some video
stuff  ( and ffmpeg based development ) few points I can share:

it is not clear to this point who will win ( though libav team seems has
more ffmpeg core devs, while ffmpeg site team has less - but keeps the name
so potentially can regain the position ).

but still - if to build from stable releases
http://libav.org/download.html#release_0.6 it is all the same as latest
stable release
http://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html#release_0.6 with few fixes.

that is - for now - it looks like
http://libav.org/download.html#release_0.6  0.6.2 release is a best
bet for inclusion.

in dev branches to this date in the encoding side - the difference is minor.
ffmpeg site pushes for multi threading - but only for  decoders.
so ffmpeg branch won't have any advantages for Blender compared with libav
though has some more 'new features'.

Regards
Sergey