[Bf-committers] Sequencer movie strips frame rate - bug or missing feature?

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Fri Oct 22 12:29:32 CEST 2010

Well, I looked in the code and realized the frame rate is read and considered
at least probably by ffmpeg reading, so I submitted a bug report,
and would really like if the further discussion went on there(bug #24355).

I also had the idea of making a python op which would solve this with the speed effect,
the problem is, the strips frame rate is not exposed to the rna api,
so the only solution would be to find the find the matching audio strip and match the lengths.
This can be done, however it's quite a hack, don't you think? Especially if blender has most of
the code needed for a proper handling of frame rates.

 I am not a hobbyist, so to say, I make my living with av art and producing animations etc.,
 so there's no need to explain here the very basics of how video editing works and
bringing the discussion to offtopic area.
Of course that if you are producing a movie and are not stupid you keep your settings consistent through
the whole process(unless you make a documentary, where you use different footages etc. )
If you say that professionals don't use frame rate conversions,
then tell me how e.g. everyday news shot in ntsc are screened(and re-edited) in europe?
Or how is it possible that tv's screen motion pictures shot at 24 fps? Or how the same movies are distributed on pal(ntsc) dvds?(or even better, videotapes :) )
 Btw, animated textures have the same problem as in sequencer,
 so how do you apply an animated texture which you get at 12 fps when you are rendering in 25fps?
Or how you export your 12fps animation for a dvd?
Really, there are many cases where you convert frame rates also in professional use...
Yes, you can make all of this with external conversion, for best results with
retimer or some similar software, but that really makes your production time much higher.
Greetings,
VN