[Bf-committers] Removing prefixes from BGE Python objects

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 18:09:20 CEST 2010

Think this is a reasonable improvement but we did agree not to modify
the BGE api (with breaking changes), where possible for blender 2.5x.

bge.types (formally GameTypes module) was only in 2.48, 2.49 IIRC?, so
its probably not going to make anywhere near is much trouble as other
changes we made already (using mathutils or removing the OB prefix
from objects), so its ok with me but others may disagree.
 - Benoit/Erwin ???

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Mitchell Stokes <mogurijin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I propose that we remove the prefixes such as KX_, SCA_, BL_, etc from the
> names of the Python objects for the BGE.
>
> The benefits include:
>  * The names would be nicer looking
>  * The names would be similar to the bpy api
>
> The downside: breaking scripts
>
> With Python's duck typing, not very many scripts will actually break from
> the change though. I think mostly ones that explicitly use bge.types for
> some reason. Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Mitchell Stokes (Moguri)

- Campbell