[Bf-committers] A practical proposal for the task of re-licensing Blender

Thomas Dinges dingto at gmx.de
Thu Nov 25 17:28:20 CET 2010

Hi,
first of all, right at the beginning of this mail, I also vote against LGPL!

When I joined the Blender SVN team in May 2009 I did it because I like
Blender a lot, it's a great program and I use it myself as a hobby.
Lots of freelance developers like me do that in their free time, after
school or after their work.
As Brecht already mentioned, with LGPL, commercial companies can grab
our code and integrate it into their code base. (yes I know that they
have to republish their changes under LGPL etc., but that’s not the point).

I don't have anything against people who want to use Blender
commercially, on the contrary I am happy when I see people making money
with it, because that shows us developers that we did something positive
for the community. Something that helps other people.
You can create art, documentation, you can do education with it, give
support etc. There are a lot of possibilities to earn money with
Blender. Great!
And that’s also why I happily spend time on the code.
But not! for other software companies who make money with that. That’s
another case for me.

I want to have a tool which is free and people can use but I don't want
to give companies code to build another commercial tool with that and
make money with that new program.

Thomas