[Bf-committers] extension clause

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Nov 16 16:01:30 CET 2010

Hi,

Since relicensing is going to be very difficult and communicating from
another process messy, maybe we could simply do this.

If there is agreement, we could make a statement as developers that we
don't consider certain things (external render engines, game engines,
exporter libraries) as a derived work, and as such, they don't need to
be GPL. Now, this is clearly a gray area, and there are different
interpretations of what a derived work is, but I think it may be a
reasonable assurance for developers not associated with the company to
write plugins for 3Delight, Vray or the FBX library for example.

It seems to me that worst case, the plugin becomes invalid, but if a
large part of the copyright holders say they have no problem with it,
this chance is quite small. It doesn't solve the problem for companies
making their own plugins.

Brecht.