[Bf-committers] extension clause

Alex Combas blenderwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 11:22:49 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:30 PM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> @Alex Combas - ...
>

> The wording here, even in the case of a manual exception, refers to the
> non-GPL code as a "library" and implies it's existance before the authoring
> of the program.

It does not say that. I think you are bringing in your own interpretation.

The way the document describes it there are only two classes of libraries:
system, and non-system.

You indicate that you think that certain libraries would automatically
be disqualified by the FSF depending upon their date of authorship or their
purpose or utility.

I see absolutely no reason to believe that.

To my knowledge the FSF has no authority when it comes to judging
the worthiness of a library.
The only authority that the GPL gives to the FSF regarding the code in
question is: Is this code a "library", or not.
Just because the FSF does not like a library does not change that it is a
library.

If the code in question is judged to be a library, then it can be
accessed by GPL code if the author of the
copyright holder explicitly indicates that this is acceptable.

> We'd need a lawyer to render an opinion, and even moreso, only time would
> tell whether that interpretion would be reasonable. It's unclear if this
> would provide enough comfort, until the situation was tested by a court or
> disagreement.

That is true.

Do not forget however that the spirit of the law is the job of the judges to
decide.
The peoples job is merely to follow the letter of the law.
In this case regarding libraries in my opinion the letter of the law is
quite clear.
But I'm not a lawyer so my opinion is just an opinion. :)

That said, it is a very creative suggestion, and we should
> consider this as it might be a decent route for the idea of carving out an
> addon-exception.

Thank you, it would be great if this turns out to be something that moves
Blender forward.
I hope this works out best for everyone involved.

Best regards,
Alex "blenderwell" Combas