[Bf-committers] extension clause

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Sat Nov 13 09:32:23 CET 2010

Hi David,

I can only give you a technical and a community viewpoint on this. I am
no professional on GPL-licensing.

I see some community-'issues' with this.
  * The benefit for Blender community is better adoption. (in business
terms a weak benefit)
  * You propose Blender community effort is needed (designing and
developing C-extensions and licensing, perhaps support, documentation etc).
  * Commercial parties will benefit. (sounds like better benefit than
point 1)

I think this might only be realistic to do from a Blender-network kind
of thing, but you always need a company who wants it (who is willing to
invest in it or take the risk). Do you have contact with such a company?

IMO the C-extension for commercial purposes should be developed by a
commercial party and not by the OS-community. You can even think of
releasing only this part under an GPL license.

Jeroen.