[Bf-committers] neXyon's GSoC 2010 proposals

Charles Wardlaw cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com
Wed Mar 31 19:29:30 CEST 2010

> * I've removed the iPad comment, didn't know about all those
> restrictions Apple puts on it... it was just an example, now clearly a
> stupid one :)

I disagree. :)  Apple may restrict it a lot, but Blender's strengths of modeling, surfacing, and sculpting would be wonderful to have on an iPad.  (I can imagine sculpting ideas at coffee shops in full 3D, then saving out to PC for rigging.)  Also, since the Cocoa port has already been completed you'd probably have an easier time porting to the iPad than other tablets.

There's the other thing to mention: while Apple may be restrictive about what goes on the store, it's not restrictive about what you do in your own home as a part of the developer program.  So even if a locked-down version were available on the store, the unlocked version could be compiled by power users; this is how Unity gets around the restrictions for the tester program that allows you to send code directly to a unit.  I think getting the entire package running like that would be well outside the realm of a GSoC project, but it's something to think about.

Also, your pie menus would be great regardless. :)
~ C