[Bf-committers] my GSOC project idea

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 13:55:10 CEST 2010

Hi Shuvro, I'd hesitant to recommend API projects from developers who
have not had to use similar API's before.

So rather then work on a project to improve the API you could choose a
project that has this as a component.
To accomplish this you would end up having to extend the API's but
with real use cases.

Off hand some examples...
* Utility functions for dynamic loading terrain.
* Create utility functions for path finding, NPC's
* Basic in-game level editing, (moving objects about + instancing,
then applying this back into blender after)

A python utility module could be distributed with blender and used by games.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to complement.
> I gave Shuvro the idea of working with DDS without really understand how
> much work that would take.
> So if If that's not much work to a GSOC I would endorse the idea of having
> other small tasks to be completed on top of that.
>
> I never participated on a GSOC though so I'm not sure of real timeframes
> expend in researching, debuging, documenting, ... I would be surprised if a
> "1 week project" become a 3 week project with all that.
>
> Regards,
> Dalai
>
> 2010/3/27 Mitchell Stokes <mogurijin at gmail.com>
>
>> Here is the patch: http://www.pasteall.org/11985/diff
>>
>> It's pretty messy as I didn't get around to finishing it. I was
>> planning to support DXT1, DXT3 and DXT5, which handles the most
>> popular ones. If I recall correctly, adding more formats wouldn't have
>> been too difficult. None the less, I know this patch took me less than
>> a week. Maybe you could combine DDS with something else? That, or
>> maybe work on BGE Py API changes. It would be nice to get other people
>> to give their input as well. =/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mitchell Stokes (Moguri)

- Campbell