[Bf-committers] new UV test grid

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Fri Mar 26 20:00:34 CET 2010

Paolo Ciccone <phciccone at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that we are getting too worried for just a few added kilobytes.
> That's hardly "bloating" the install. A few of grids in JPEG. In this day an
> age we should not worry so much for such size.

I've been following this thread and it occurs to me that you're choosing the
wrong topic to bring up an issue of user friendliness. Perhaps I'm missing
something, but this seems like a gigantic non-issue. There's nothing stopping
you from using any image you'd like as your custom UV test grid. Procedurally
generated grids save space and provide greater flexibility to users (like you
and me) to arbitrarily set the grid size to anything we want. Now, there may be
an argument for providing preset size values for common UV map sizes that can
be generated, but I fail to see how reducing the flexibility (that users want)
of UV grid creation while simultaneously increasing the download size (however
marginally) of Blender is step toward user friendliness.

You raise some interesting and valid points about usability, but I'm really
struggling to see how your original suggestion is supporting those points.

If I'm missing something, please clarify it for me.

  -Fweeb