[Bf-committers] Nodify logic , a GSOC project of idea list , need info

Charles Wardlaw cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com
Fri Mar 19 17:12:16 CET 2010

> A general purpose nodal mechanism will be great for a number of things
> and may even become a project on its own rights. But in order to do
> that it should be:
>  1. BSD licensed et al.
>  2. Lightweight - using lua instead of python
>  3. designed from the ground up as an external module, not using any
> of the current blender infrastructure but highly similar in design and
> concept (in the context of the game engine)

I think that might be a bit above and beyond the GSOC boundaries, though. :)

The fact of the matter is, a lot of the node work is already done and
in Blender already.  It's more a matter of generalizing what's there
and making connections work based on the bpy.data pathing.  Going for
a separate library so nodal logic can be integrated into external game
engines sounds like a wonderful feature, but as there are already
open-source packages that accomplish such things and since the number
of Blender users who would benefit from that feature is a small
percentage (IE, people writing their own engines or using Open Source
engines, or possibly Torque), it might be better to focus on generic
nodal connections for within Blender only and add externalizing the
functionality as a separate project for down the road.  The generic
system project would have immediate impact on workflows for all
Blender users across the board.

~ C