[Bf-committers] Reference Images Proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 11:14:44 CET 2010

using meshes for reference images can work but it doesn't lend its
self for certain use cases...
- quad is not necessarily rectangular
- quad may get subdivided later and not be a single quad.

Example of why this is important is: a often requested feature is to
be able to overlay an image in projection paint and use stamp from
this image.

If we just use any mesh we have to...
- tell project paint to use an arbitrary mesh as a reference image,
some way to select reference object.
- complain if the reference image is not a rectangular quad
- make it clear to the user they can use xray and 'transp' object draw
options to draw the reference image over the mesh.
- have a way to force texture draw for mesh objects.

While all this can work it really feels hobbled together and not a
nice way to use reference images, so its worth thinking of how we
could make it smoother.

Perhaps we keep existing background images but have a way to give then
an absolute transformation in 3D space, and have some modal operator
(transform or its own operator), for moving them about, or simply have
some operator to place based on the location of an object.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Carsten Wartmann <cw at blenderbuch.de> wrote:
> Am 06.03.2010 23:43, schrieb Tom M:
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Matt Ebb<matt at mke3.net>  wrote:
> [...]
>> Matt, a script already exists in 2.49 to do that, called '2D Cutout
>> image importer' from the UV menu
>
> Loosely related:
>
> Is the ALT-V (Scale Mesh to image aspect) still in Blender 2.50? Very
> valuable function also for such "background" images.
>
> Carsten
> --
> Carsten Wartmann: Autor - Dozent - 3D - Grafik
> Homepage:         http://blenderbuch.de/
> Das Blender-Buch: http://blenderbuch.de/redirect.html

- Campbell