[Bf-committers] Reference Images Proposal

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Mon Mar 8 12:16:45 CET 2010

Hi,

Campbell and I discussed this a bit further. Using a mesh is less
drastic a design change, but actually making this work well will
probably be more complicated code, while at the same time being less
easy to use. Also using it as a clone image for painting would be
considerably more complicated to implemented for arbitrary meshes.

What we agree now a reasonable solution now is to add a new "image"
object type. The object.data would be a pointer to an image datablock.
Adding a new object type doesn't not seem to be all that complicated,
though it hasn't been done in about 10 years (when IKA's were replaced
with armatures :).

One thing that bothers me is that users will want to render this ..
but maybe it's a matter of naming / communicating things clearly? Also
the intention would be to replaced background images entirely, would
this be acceptable? It's more flexible in how you can position things
and it's easier to position too. Another difference would be that the
reference then appears in all 3d views which may be considered a good
or a bad thing (you can use layers to work around it).

What do you think?

Brecht.