[Bf-committers] Add-Ons & Primitive Objects.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:11:27 CEST 2010

Replying to each point directly.

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Brendon Murphy <meta.androcto1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Re: Add-Ons & primitives.
>
> Hi,
> 1/
> All the Add-On Primitives use a Re-Call menu function.
> This is in the add_edit_object_parameters.py Add-Ons script. (in add_mesh
> category)
> Basically it lets you re-create the objects menu after you have transformed
> or add modifiers.
> For the sake of consistency, I would request that Blender's Default objects
> be re-written in python,
> so all mesh objects can make use of this feature.
> Simple case: add a cube, move the mesh & the Toolshelf menu for the mesh
> disappears.
> with the re-call function, you call the menu back, if you need to adjust the
> mesh.
Re-Call wasnt accepted by Matt, Brecht or myself (in previous mail)
I'm not especially for/against having 'Add' operators use python or C,
though since they work ok in C now, I see no reason to change.

> 2/
> In Extensions svn I added a folder 'repair_holding'
> https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/
> This is so i can take broken scripts out of Release & Contrib, whilst
> keeping them in svn.
> So no-one compiles with the bad scripts.
> once fixed, the scripts can return to their original folders.
It would be good to give authors some time to fix their scripts before
moving them. 2 weeks?, things break in blender too so removing
features that break immediately can interfere with development,
otherwise this seems reasonable.

> 3/
> There's quite a few scripts in
> https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-extensions/contrib/py/scripts/addons/
> I've noticed not many builds on graphicall are making use of these scripts.
> So, just a little note, to raise awareness.
Good to hear :)

> 4/
> A request for more scripts.
> We need more scripts, so if you have any, please upload to
> https://projects.blender.org/projects/bf-extensions/
> Particularly, mesh tools & animation scripts.
> Help with porting of scripts/tools from 2.4x is needed also
> If you have done any of this, don't be shy. :)
Take care with this, if we have a lot of scripts it also gives us more
work when the API changes.

Do we have a list of 2.4x scripts to port anywhere?

> Thanks.
> Enjoy Python Scripting & the Add-Ons System.
> Brendon.

- Campbell