[Bf-committers] Fake User for Brushes

Doug Ollivier doug at flipdesign.co.nz
Thu Jul 22 05:34:47 CEST 2010

This is a related but not identical note:

I've been teaching Blender a lot here in New Zealand, it's really picked
up in recent month.  80 or so students over the last few months.

Teaching Blender 2.5 takes about 66% of the time of teaching 2.49 which
is absolutely amazing. However, I still find it interesting to observe
students to see what goes wrong when they are left to their own devices.

Clicking the Brush button in the top of the textures panel seems to be
one of those things that goes wrong for about 10-20% of students.

 From a User Interface perspective, a brush is already selectable in the
tool shelf of the 4 paint modes and will change the contents of the
texture panel, so having this button duplicated in the texture panel in
the editmode or object mode context seems to add a layer of confusion to
the Blender process of being in a Context > making a selection > and
seeing related options in Buttons Panel.

It would be interesting to observe a professional workflow to see if
people set up brush textures in any mode other than one of the four
paint modes?  if not then I'd suggest the button could be removed.
Project Orange, Apricot, Peach, Durian and Persimmon project members
might be the best for a comment.

I'd also suggest that the outliner could add a new top level grouping
including a list of brushes, as they seem to be an indipendant entity
attached to the file as a whole rather than a specific object. This may
solve the cleaning up of brushes as it would allow instant selection and
deletion.

Doug Ollivier