[Bf-committers] Fake User for Brushes

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 04:58:10 CEST 2010

Brushes could work like text datablocks or scenes, the user count isnt
really used and you can manually delete...
or they could work like actions where a fake user is added by default.
adding access to the fake user setting should be trivial.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com
<zanqdo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest you take a look at Blender 2.4X databrowser (Shift F4), it had a
> way to manage fake users (f). In 2.5 you have to use the outliner in
> databrowse mode bu its not as easy/fast
>
> Daniel Salazar
> www.3developer.com
>

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Jason Wilkins <jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Brushes all have an extra reference count that keeps them from getting
>> deleted even when there is no paint mode that references one of them.  So
>> it
>> is possible to unlink a brush from every paint mode and it will still be
>> saved in the .blend.  This apparently isn't a problem and is the purpose of
>> the fake user, however there is no interface that will allow a user to
>> permanently delete this brush or relink it into a paint mode again.  The
>> result is that if a user creates and deletes lots of brushes they will
>> cruft
>> up the his saved files needlessly.  When I was editing startup.blend I
>> created/deleted several brushes while creating a new set.  I noticed this
>> problem and used the debugger to skip saving any brushes that were not in
>> use by any of the paint modes.
>>
>> I'm assuming that the fake user acts as some sort of recycle bin so that
>> deleted objects can be retrieved so I think the main problem here is the
>> inability to recover brushes that have been unlinked.  In fact, there is no
>> way to even, for example, link a brush used in texture paint into vertex
>> paint or something like that.  (I may be wrong, before I changed it, the
>> same Draw brush was linked into 3 different paint modes, but as far as I
>> can
>> tell I do not know how that was done).

- Campbell