[Bf-committers] Mirror and array modifiers for curves

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Tue Feb 16 13:35:52 CET 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Sergey I. Sharybin <g.ulairi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I right that in this case we should have absolutely new constructite
> modifiers for curves (i mean existing handlers will be useless for curves)?
> Maybe it would be better to have some common interface for modifying
> curves, meshes, surfaces?

Curves and surfaces indeed can't just be modified like meshes, they
have certain constraints that need to be respected and weights that
need to be preserved. It would be possible to code some sort of
abstraction but I think that would lead to hard to understand code. In
my opinion these should be implemented separately as you'd need to
have many exceptions in the code anyway. Though for example an array
modifier could of course share code to compute the transformations.

Alternatively you could run constructive modifiers on the tessellated
result, that's not ideal though.

> Does render engine convert curves/surfaces to meshes before rendering?

They are tessellated but not converted to a Mesh or DerivedMesh, but
functions exist to do this for the Convert operator.

Brecht.