[Bf-committers] fire sim update and design question

Janne Karhu jhkarh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 19:10:24 CET 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:15:27 +0200, Lukas Tönne
<lukas.toenne at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Either way it's very ugly and imo a problem with the current particle
> system design (before you start shouting, i know particles will be
> redesigned some time and there are more important things atm, so this
> is just a theoretical question). How about this: Instead using one
> object as the owner of the particle system and it's (only!) emitter at
> the same time, wouldn't it be better to have particle systems as a
> distinct object type (like mesh, light, etc.) and have a list of
> objects, which function as emitters for this particle system? Not that
> i would want to implement this right now, i would just like hear an
> opinion on this (Jahka?).

I've been playing with the idea of having particles separated from emitter
objects for quite some time. I don't think making particles it's own
object type is the right choice, but this could work very well by having
particle systems defined in empties (hair should probably remain directly
connected to the emitter though). This would allow for nice logical
grouping of particle systems in different empties and allow for direct
moving of the particles once they're baked by just moving the empty. The
emitter object (or even a list of objects) for a particle system could
then just be set as a parameter to the system. This would also be a small
step in the direction towards node based particles codewise as it would
separate particles from the emitter data. So while I don't have the time
right now to start this project it's definitely something I'd like to
pursue when I have the time.

jahka