[Bf-committers] MSVC project files end of life

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 23:47:44 CEST 2010

My 2 cents if I may ...
I've been using CMake generated files for MSVC for awhile and haven't
seen any problems with the project files. Not even the manual
adjustments we use to have to do in 2.49.

The only problem I have (not sure it's related) is:
1) Incremental Build seems not working for me. If I build Blender it
will build and crash at linking time. So I have to build it again and
it works (sometimes it doesn't though. I think it depends on the
projects changed)

2) bf_rna is always "outdated". Therefore I always have to rebuild it
if I'm changing any other project (this is especially bad if you set
"Do not show this dialog again". It made me find this option again and
turn it off (otherwise I would have to rebuild it for every debug
session).
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=5168

Both problems happen in MSVC9 (2008) with no custom settings (files
generated with CMake and opened/run/built from MSVC). If you have
those while using CMake but not while using MSVC proj files it's worth
investigating before killing them. Otherwise go ahead.

Ah, other than that once in a while it's required to clean CMake cache
or manually clean specific projects to rebuild the solution. Not sure
how that was working with the proj files.

Cheers,
Dalai