[Bf-committers] Using assert()?

Torsten Rupp torsten.rupp at gmx.net
Thu Aug 12 20:55:34 CEST 2010

Dear Nicholas,

> In the specific case you mention (improper use of an array),
> valgrind will usually catch the error.

Yes, I also know valgrind. Sometimes (or most the time?) a SigSegV
occur unexpected, especially when not running Blender with valgrind.
Another problem with valgrind is that program execution become very
slow.

Currently I see a SigSegV when rendering a scene. I still was not able
to reproduce it reliable; sometimes it happen, sometimes it does not
happen when I start the render process with exactly the same
parameters. And unfortunatelly up to now it never occurred inside the
debugger. I will also give valgrind a chance, but I fear it will be
simply so slow that I will have to wait forever for the result.

Torsten