[Bf-committers] Using assert()?

Sergey Sharybin g.ulairi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 07:45:26 CEST 2010

IMHO assert will help only with obvious problems (as you wrote NULL
pointers, i.e.) Such problems would be easily catched by gdb or valgrind. So
i don't think asserts are necessary for pointers check.

Another thing is memory damage (i.e., due to invalid write range to
dynamically allocated memory) In this case SigSegV can't be caught reliable.
But such mistakes can't be handled with asserts. valgrind should help with
handling such problems.

2010/8/13 Torsten Rupp <torsten.rupp at gmx.net>

> Dear Nicholas,
>
> > In the specific case you mention (improper use of an array),
> > valgrind will usually catch the error.
>
> Yes, I also know valgrind. Sometimes (or most the time?) a SigSegV
> occur unexpected, especially when not running Blender with valgrind.
> Another problem with valgrind is that program execution become very
> slow.
>
> Currently I see a SigSegV when rendering a scene. I still was not able
> to reproduce it reliable; sometimes it happen, sometimes it does not
> happen when I start the render process with exactly the same
> parameters. And unfortunatelly up to now it never occurred inside the
> debugger. I will also give valgrind a chance, but I fear it will be
> simply so slow that I will have to wait forever for the result.
>
> Torsten

With best regards, Sergey I. Sharybin