[Bf-committers] "Security" gets in the way

horace grant horace3d at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 14:03:38 CEST 2010

> *Mono*:
> On the suggestion of Mono, this is a no-go before it even get's to the
> starting block. The components needed to make Mono run are quite large
> in size and not guaranteed to be on every machine. Currently Blender
> runs just fine by distributing the required Python dependencies along
> with it (though it locates existing installations just fine as well).
> Doing the same for Mono would blow out the download size of the default
> Python by a large factor.

i don't think that's true. the unity webplayer comes with mono and
mono doesn't take more than 4mb there (and this includes the languages
boo and unityscript). python 3.1 takes 2.7mb.

i have also read on miguel de icaza's blog that mono's moonlight
profile is even smaller and contains all of the important stuff. he
recommended it to the unity developers.

> *PyPy as a solution:*
> The problem with PyPy is that, like the current situation, it is an all
> or nothing approach. PyPy will give you the choice of allowing Blender
> to access your file system (a requirement for import/export scripts) or
> will lock it down. Recall that the problem with Python isn't that it can
> allow access to the hard-drive, but that either EVERY Python script &
> expression can do it or none of them can. Rigs don't need access to the
> network, file systems, operating system features etc; but if we give it
> to the import/export scripts - we give it to the rigs. Python's all or
> nothing problem is based on the language design & modules developed
> around it, not the virtual machine used to execute the code (which is
> all PyPy is attempting to change).

couldn't you run 2 separate pythons? but that would be the worst case.
i really would contact the pypy developers first and get their opinion
about it. i follow their mailing list a bit and there seem to be a lot
of experiments going on with their sandbox. probably i am wrong but to
me it seemed like some people tryed to enable/disable certain features
just like it would be needed for blender.