[Bf-committers] Texture assignment workflow is confusing

Damir Prebeg blend.factory at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 08:55:05 CEST 2010

Since there's no texture panels in material (or World) buttons anymore,
current texture assignment is anything but logic.

If I want to assign texture to the world, as first step I have to click on
world button, and second on texture button. Then, if I want to assign some
texture to material, I must activate material buttons then again texture
buttons.

Why I think this workflow isn't good?

First, I really don't see any reason for removing texture assignment panel
from material buttons since texture is part of material isn't it?. In 2.4x I
can assign texture to selected material directly from material buttons.

And second, if I want to assign a texture to the World and (by mistake) I
click on material button first and then on texture button, I will for most
sure assign by accident that texture to an active material, not to the
World. If no one had this particular mistake with 2.5 then I must be really
dumb.

Solution? I think that texture buttons should be only used for texture
editing, not for texture assignment, and texture assignment panel should be
returned to the Material and World buttons.