[Bf-committers] Texture assignment workflow is confusing

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 09:34:37 CEST 2010

I only partially agree with these comments. See responses interspersed
with the quoted text...

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Damir Prebeg <blend.factory at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since there's no texture panels in material (or World) buttons anymore,
> current texture assignment is anything but logic.
>
> If I want to assign texture to the world, as first step I have to click on
> world button, and second on texture button. Then, if I want to assign some
> texture to material, I must activate material buttons then again texture
> buttons.
>  ... snip ...
>
> And second, if I want to assign a texture to the World and (by mistake) I
> click on material button first and then on texture button, I will for most
> sure assign by accident that texture to an active material, not to the
> World. If no one had this particular mistake with 2.5 then I must be really
> dumb.

I agree with this point. This effectively means that sometimes you
need to remember what panel you clicked on last, and also increases
the amount of clicking back and forth that needs to be done.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Damir Prebeg <blend.factory at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, I really don't see any reason for removing texture assignment panel
> from material buttons since texture is part of material isn't it?. In 2.4x I
> can assign texture to selected material directly from material buttons.
>
> ... snip ...
>
> Solution? I think that texture buttons should be only used for texture
> editing, not for texture assignment, and texture assignment panel should be
> returned to the Material and World buttons.

You're partly correct that the texture assignment is part of the
material/world/lamp data instead, since that's where the "Texture
Slots" reside.

However, the primary problem with having this information presented
ONLY in the old locations (as many users have complained over the
years), is that tweaking texture mapping often required trips between
the texture and other-shading panels to adjust texture settings then
tweak the mapping.

In this case, I wonder whether just having these settings in two
places might be a better compromise? This still doesn't nicely solve
the dilemma of "where we get the texture stack from for the texture
buttons", but solves the issue you mention IMO.