[Bf-committers] version naming

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Sat Apr 10 09:45:45 CEST 2010

Hi all,

The impact of changing a version number:
For every release increase mayor: 3.0, 4.0 -> we can only make mayor 7
releases (limitation in file format)
so I disagree with mayor increase, except if we can find a way to place
this in the current file format
remove the last digit 2.5, 2.6  -> we have to go to increase the mayor
within 2 years file format can hold 33 releases before reaching the
limitation

Current way: we can still do 240 releases.
When choosing a new version numbering, it has bigger technical impacts.
File reader, upwards and downwards compatibility.
The current implementation also has some drawbacks:
patches are not recognized (249a, 249b) when a big patch has to be done
impacting DNA+conversion it can not be placed in the filereader without
tricking.

So IMO: mayor.minor.patch + (2.5.1, 2.6.0)

Regards,
Jeroen.