[Bf-committers] GPL exception license for Blender Player.

Sinan Hassani [email redacted]
Sun Oct 18 21:38:11 CEST 2009

I'm not sure if any of the BGE developers have noticed this forum:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=155310&page=4
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=155310&page=5

In the posts I argue for a "GPL exception license for Embedded Systems"
for the Blender Player.

The "GPL exception license" would allow developers to port the Blender
Player to different
platforms like iPhone/PS3/Xbox360/Wii with the need to provide the
source code only to other
licensed developers of the specific platform they are porting for.

A quick example I can think of is that Sony makes available a rendering
engine called Phyre Engine
to all licensed developers, but the source code is only available to
licensed developers and not to
the general public.

The "GPL exception license" would allow a developer to port the Blender
Player to the PS3
but only provide the source code to other PS3 licensed developers (by
making it available on
the Sony DevNet network). So for example the Blender Player would be
available as a game
engine option for game developers developing for the PS3. If the
developer can't meet this requirement
then they are not allowed to port the Blender Player to that specific
platform without license violations.

This change would make BGE more professional and will potentially bring
more developers in,
and more users.

So I'm wondering if this is possible?
If it is possible, how would it even be done? (Getting all BGE
developers to agree on a license exception change).

Sinan