[Bf-committers] Blender Network Rendering in Erlang

Nicholas Amorim nicholas at montrealdevelopment.com
Mon Oct 5 15:11:14 CEST 2009

Erlang has FFI (Foreign Function Interface).that allows to perform direct
calls of external C functions. I don't see it as part of default OTP - yet,
at least.

http://muvara.org/crs4/erlang/ffi/

Erlang itself provides the EI library to interfacing C with Erlang too:
http://erlang.org/doc/apps/erl_interface/part_ei_frame.html

I'm currently inclined to write some glue code between Erlang and C than
drop down to shell and execute blender as a separate program.

I really thinks that Erlang powers to create nodes on differentes machines
can be a power factor. I'm not sure if the overhead between converting C
types to Erlang and back and forth would be a big overhead.

But I would like to give a try (test both approaches that I described here,
test them - I do prefer really using standard library than applying patch to
stuff, anyway).

So this is it. I'm willing to try anyway, if you think it's a good idea, I
would start to dig into Blender's code (only saw it once) for render
functions and so on.