[Bf-committers] Blender Network Rendering in Erlang

Stefan Langer mailtolanger at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 5 10:12:27 CEST 2009

2009/10/5 Nicholas Amorim <nicholas at montrealdevelopment.com>

> I'm sorry to introduce myself with a thread that could quickly get flawed
> or
> something like that.
>
> I was seeing the IRC notes at blendernation and I saw the blender network
> rendering and the known issues (ah, testers needed ? I'm one, you can be
> sure of it, got 20 machines).
>
> And I was thinking on the advantages to write the network rendering in
> erlang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlang_%28programming_language%29) ?
>
> I mean, handling processes (or nodes, as they call it) in external machines
> by tcp it's pretty simple in erlang.
>
> Don't know how the blender project would view it, as if it's possible, if
> that would be interesting and so on. But I had to ask.
>
> I'm no full-blown expert in erlang - not yet, at least. But I would be
> quite
> happy to see a project like this going on - and more happier if I could do
> something for it (maybe even start it).
>
> So, my intro anyway, my name is Nicholas Amorim, I'm from Brazil, I'm a
> software developer (Python mostly) in love with CG and Blender.
>
> :)

Not sure if it is alright to discuss this on here (if not tell me and I'll
be glad to move it somewhere else):

Nicholas Have you put any thoughts into how you are going to be interfacing
blender renderer with the erlang code you are writing? I mean the
distribution part with erlang is no problem using OTP but for the
interfacing you either have to drop down to the shell and execute blender as
a separate program or you would need to write a erlang client in c that can
use blender directly. I'd be interested in helping out but I do not have a
lot of time and I'm not too experienced with erlang.