[Bf-committers] GPU computing

Shaul Kedem shaul.kedem at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:05:12 CET 2009

Hi,
 I've actually wrote a test to check opencl with post processing
(using nodes to add gamma, for example) and here are my findings:
 - Brecht gave me the idea to work on the post pro area, saying that
if we can move a full post pro flow to the GPU we might see
performance gain
 - Moving data from memory to the GPU takes time. It can (and in my
case did) take more time than doing the calculation in the CPU to
begin with. This can be lowered with shared memory usage and having
more to do on the CPU, but that's the general idea.
 - Writing opencl code mean finding parallel algorithms where there
are none is use in the code right now
 - When I asked ton, he said that the first thing is to have work
units in the post pro engine, so multi-CPU work can be done

 Anyway, good luck, opencl looks like its going places :-)

Shaul