[Bf-committers] Shapes / Shape Keys - confusing terminology

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:16:09 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Mike Belanger
<mikejamesbelanger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops I'm sorry I even uttered 'Blend Shapes' at all.  I think 'Shape
> Keys' works just fine.  Or 'Morph Target', or 'Mold State', whatever.
> So long as none of those names has 'Key' in it!
> Mike Belanger ( Mikahl )
> www.watchmike.ca
> On 2009-11-01, at 10:15 PM, Damir Prebeg wrote:
>> +1 for Morph Target - I think that "Morph Target" is more general 3D
>> term than "Blend Shape".

As a native English speaker and a user of only Blender, I have to say
that Shape or Shape Key mean nothing to me. A shape is something you
make with verts, like a triangle. A key is something you stick in a
door to unlock it. Key frame, I can live with but what the heck does
key shape mean?? Morph Target makes a lot of sense and before that I
was thinking of transformation target but almost everyone has seen
computer graphics morphing and understands what it is.

As far as KISS=Shapes, that is like programming with simple variable
names like a, b, c, d. Simple but they have no meaning and soon make
things much more confusing.

We should use names that the man off the street will understand or
else industry standards and as a last resort make up new and
descriptive names that most normal people with understand with have to
explain them.

+1 Morph Targets. Perhaps Targets for short.
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

More information about the Bf-committers mailing list