[Bf-committers] Shapes / Shape Keys - confusing terminology

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:52:33 CET 2009

"Blend Shape" and "Morph Target" are better then "Shape Key"... some points...

* "Blend" is a general term, color blending & blend modes for eg and
possible confusion with blend files/blender!
* Shape is also a very general term.
* Morph is something *normal* people understand and gives a fairly
clear idea that its used to morph between different shapes.

+1 for "Morph Target", or a similar name which includes "Morph"

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Mike Belanger
> <mikejamesbelanger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oops I'm sorry I even uttered 'Blend Shapes' at all.  I think 'Shape
>> Keys' works just fine.  Or 'Morph Target', or 'Mold State', whatever.
>> So long as none of those names has 'Key' in it!
>>
>> Mike Belanger ( Mikahl )
>> www.watchmike.ca
>>
>> On 2009-11-01, at 10:15 PM, Damir Prebeg wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for Morph Target - I think that "Morph Target" is more general 3D
>>> term than "Blend Shape".
>
> As a native English speaker and a user of only Blender, I have to say
> that Shape or Shape Key mean nothing to me. A shape is something you
> make with verts, like a triangle. A key is something you stick in a
> door to unlock it. Key frame, I can live with but what the heck does
> key shape mean?? Morph Target makes a lot of sense and before that I
> was thinking of transformation target but almost everyone has seen
> computer graphics morphing and understands what it is.
>
> As far as KISS=Shapes, that is like programming with simple variable
> names like a, b, c, d. Simple but they have no meaning and soon make
> things much more confusing.
>
> We should use names that the man off the street will understand or
> else industry standards and as a last resort make up new and
> descriptive names that most normal people with understand with have to
> explain them.
>
> +1 Morph Targets. Perhaps Targets for short.
> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Why do we live?

- Campbell