[Bf-committers] OGRE Integration into BGE 2.5

Sinan Hassani sinan.hassani at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 04:53:12 CET 2009

Hi folks,

I am experimenting with integrating OGRE into BGE 2.5 -again-. I
proposed this 2 months ago but I canceled my own proposal.

I want to have another crack at it, now that I'm more familiar with BGE.

I want to hear from BGE developers however. And it would be nice if I
can know who is for it, and who is against it.

Do BGE devs want OGRE to be brought into BGE? If I get this feature done
will it be accepted by the community?

No OGRE integration will be mixed with Blender itself or interfere with
GHOST.

However, the plan is to get Blender Player to use OGRE window management
(instead of GHOST) and therefore open up things like iPhone ports/etc.

My work on this at the moment is being done part time.

Here is a list of feature OGRE brings to BGE:

Powerful scene managers: Portal Connected Zone Scene Manager/ Octree
Scene Manager / Octree Zone / BSP Scene Manager.  -- should improve FPS
for large scenes.
More powerful compositor/ compositor features
Auto generated LOD / Manual generated LOD -- should improve FPS
OpenGL ES renderer (iphone port)
Better support for font display (fonts / overlays can be scripted)
Plus more....

Sinan
sinsoft.com