[Bf-committers] Static linux version, drop?

Olivier Saraja olivier.saraja at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:14:47 CEST 2009

Hi,

2009/5/18 Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org

> Question: is there a good reason to still provide official static linux
> versions (with mesa gl)? People who accidentally loaded it reported
> graphics errors with it in the tracker, and I doubt this is for us an
> interesting release target to further maintain...

It looks like it is still of interest for people having Intel on-board
graphics which give very strange behavior with the dynamic version.
Reverting to the static version, mesa-based, seems to be the most
straightforward solution for them (for example, this is how we sorted David
Revoy's laptop during a Blender-Party held in Toulouse, last saturday --not
sure it was the right way, though, just the quickest). And Intel on-board
graphics look very common on all the small netbooks (yes, some people
actually do some blending with them ;) ), plus many cheap or middle-range
laptops.

Hope this is a helpful comment.

--
Olivier SARAJA