[Bf-committers] Static linux version, drop?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 15:07:26 CEST 2009

We could drop a static version but include a shell script that can
load blender with libGL.so from mesa,
this is very easy to do and means we can avoid too many versions of blender.
./blender                   # normal blender binary
./blender_softgl.sh    # load mesa libGL.so which we can include.

This has the advantage that anyone who downloads blender for linux our
site can test with both mesa and hardware GL easily.

this is based on firefox's startup script, we can include mesa
libraries in ./lib

 ---------- blender_softgl.sh
#!/bin/sh
BF_DIST_BIN=`dirname "$0"`
BF_PROGRAM="blender" # BF_PROGRAM=`basename "$0"`-bin
exitcode=0

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${BF_DIST_BIN}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

if [ -n "$LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH" ]; then
	LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH=${BF_DIST_BIN}/lib:${LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH}
fi
if [ -n "$LD_LIBRARYN64_PATH" ]; then
	LD_LIBRARYN64_PATH=${BF_DIST_BIN}/lib:${LD_LIBRARYN64_PATH}
fi
if [ -n "$LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64" ]; then
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=${BF_DIST_BIN}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64}
fi

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH LD_LIBRARYN64_PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64 LD_PRELOAD

"$BF_DIST_BIN/$BF_PROGRAM" ${1+"$@"}
exitcode=$?
exit $exitcode

# EOF.

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Olivier Saraja
<olivier.saraja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/5/18 Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
>
>> Question: is there a good reason to still provide official static linux
>> versions (with mesa gl)? People who accidentally loaded it reported
>> graphics errors with it in the tracker, and I doubt this is for us an
>> interesting release target to further maintain...
>

> It looks like it is still of interest for people having Intel on-board
> graphics which give very strange behavior with the dynamic version.
> Reverting to the static version, mesa-based, seems to be the most
> straightforward solution for them (for example, this is how we sorted David
> Revoy's laptop during a Blender-Party held in Toulouse, last saturday --not
> sure it was the right way, though, just the quickest). And Intel on-board
> graphics look very common on all the small netbooks (yes, some people
> actually do some blending with them ;) ), plus many cheap or middle-range
> laptops.
>
> Hope this is a helpful comment.
>
> --
> Olivier SARAJA