[Bf-committers] GSoC 2009: Ideas

Andre Castelo andrecastelo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 14:34:33 CET 2009

Hi everyone.

I'm André and I want to get involved with Blender development, so I thought
about applying for GSoC. I understand getting involved doesn't need to be
through GSoC and I don't intend to do only through the program. I've
successfully managed to compile blender (windows + scons + mingw) and
contacted Moguri, to contribute to the BGE Python API cleanup. I also sent a
patch last night, with a few changes [1][2].

[1]
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=18102&group_id=9&atid=306
[2] http://pasteall.org/4652/diff

Improve and optimize Blender's Raytrace intersection acceleration structure
- I could work on this but I'm not familiar with the BIH, KD-tree, BVH, so
I'd have to take some time to study it and write the proposal.

OpenGL Rendering Performance improvement in the viewport - I've been using
OpenGL for a few months now, thanks to a university class, and I have a few
resources to study from. I haven't used vertex arrays or vertex buffer
objects yet, though.

NURBS enhancement - this idea sounds interesting, but I still need to delve
deep into NURBS and its workings to be of help.

Non-Traditional Devices - I have a couple of non-traditional devices that
could be used - a Wacom Tablet and a Phantom Omni [2]. I use the Phantom in
a computer graphics and virtual reality lab I work, in the university, and
it is desirable to implement modelling using the haptic device. So, is there
a project to integrate blender and phantom? I was thinking about proposing
the integration, with haptic feedback to feel the objects, and perhaps, if
there is time, implement haptic sculpt mode.

[2] http://www.sensable.com/haptic-phantom-omni.htm

These are my ideas and I'd like to hear from you about their feasability.

Thank you for your time.
André.