[Bf-committers] Wiki reorganization proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:28:07 CET 2009

Notice hidden in this proposal is moving scripts over to the scripts
repo 'bf-scripts'

Im ok with this providing...
* SVN history must be maintained - "svn blame" needs to work, not sure
if this will pose a problem.
* bf-scripts are added to bf-blender as an external repo, "svn up"
should pull in the latest scripts also. (no manually copying scripts
over)

On IRC we also discussed giving access to scripters who can commit
their own scripts that may eventually be released with blender but for
the time being these could be called "contrib" scripts that are not
officially supported.

There are a number of ways to deal with this, however Id suggest we do this....

Move  bf-blender/trunk/release/scripts/*  to  bf-scripts/trunk/
 (make bf-blender/trunk/release/scripts  point to  bf-scripts/trunk as
mentioned above)

Add a directory in bf-scripts for unsupported, user contributed
scripts: bf-scripts/trunk/contrib/
 This means people who are updating bf-blender and building it from
source can test new scripts in contrib, which is important to get
these scripts tested and possibly made into a releasable script.

Add an option to scons option to be used with releases
BF_CONTRIB_SCRIPTS for instance. Otherwise the contrib directory will
be omitted.

Blender will add contrib scripts to the menu's if the "contrib"
directory is present.

With Blender 2.5 possibly hosing all existing scripts I don't want to
waste too much time on this issue.

- Campbell